The House with a Clock in Its Walls
Black, more than anyone else, should have been the one to wind up The House with a Clock in Its Walls. Too bad he doesn't…
A quality of the light. The play of a shadow. The movement of a hand, a lip, an eye, a branch, a cloud, a field of grass. The tone of a word, a sigh, a groan. The organic geometry of a composition across time and space. These are things that distinguish the extraordinary from the mundane in life and movies. And for the umpteenth year (I've been counting) Richard T. Jameson and Kathleen Murphy have taken notice of them, curated and cataloged them, recapitulated them in haiku-like prose. They call it Moments Out of Time, and the 2010 montage is here, at MSN Movies.
Feel free to contribute your own in comments.
A few snippets:
- The wall that is, and isn't, there: "The Ghost Writer"...
- "Monsters": Lovemaking all over the sky...
- "Black Swan": Nina, in a moment of especial distraction, freezes backstage as her monstrous dreamtime tormentor appears; he says "Hey...," and walks on by....
- In "The Kids Are All Right" Jules (Julianne Moore), penitent, nails it: "Bottom line, marriage is hard ... f**kin' hard ... just two people slogging through the s**t year after year ... getting older ... changing ... it's a f**kin' marathon."...
- Sign of our times: huge decal of wannabe street artist Thierry Guetta's face plastered over the side of a building in the City of Angels, a nobody's "I exist!" writ large, signifying nothing. "Exit Through the Gift Shop"...
Richard T. Jameson was the editor of Film Comment from 1990 to 2000, and Kathleen Murphy was a writer-in-residence, Film Society of Lincoln Center (and NYFF) programmer and contributing editor of the magazine. The current Film Comment features the magazine's annual critics' poll of the year's best films. Here's the top 50:
2. The Social Network
3. White Material
4. The Ghost Writer
5. A Prophet
6. Winter's Bone
7. Inside Job
8. Wild Grass
9. Everyone Else
12. Toy Story 3
13. Eccentricities of a Blonde-Hair Girl
14. Another Year
15. The Strange Case of Angelica
16. The Kids Are All Right
17. Shutter Island
18. Around a Small Mountain
19. Our Beloved Month of August
20. Ne change rien
22. I Am Love
24. Black Swan
25. The Father of My Children
26. Boxing Gym
27. Secret Sunshine
29. Enter the Void
32. The Oath
33. Exit Through the Gift Shop
34. World on a Wire
35. Animal Kingdom
37. Daddy Longlegs
39. Life During Wartime
40. Fish Tank
41. Please Give
42. True Grit
44. The King's Speech
45. I Love You Phillip Morris
46. Last Train Home
47. Blue Valentine
49. The Anchorage
50. Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno
Not only would Idris Elba make a great James Bond, the franchise has been building towards casting an actor of color ...
Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to ...
This message came to me from a reader named Peter Svensland. He and a fr...
Jason Statham versus a very big fish.