Blinded by the Light
Blinded by the Light, at its very best, captures the experience of being a fan, the pure exhilaration of it, and the sense of your…
For Roger's Birthday
If you feel like celebrating Roger's birthday, here are a few things you should know about what's going on June 18th and for the rest of this month.
1. June 18, 1942 Born: Urbana, Illinois Roger Ebert; Born London, England Paul McCartney
Happy Birthday Roger! Happy Birthday Paul!
2. Chicago, Illinois: June 18, 2013. Dr. Harold (Skip) Pelzer, one of Roger's favorite doctors, will receive the Gary Mecklenburg Award at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. This award is presented to a physician, nominated by his or her peers, who embodies professionalism and humanism and who demonstrates a strong commitment to enriching the lives of others through research, teaching, patient care or community outreach. The focus of this year's award is leadership. Roger said that Dr. Pelzer was one of the finest human beings he had ever met. Besides being professionally competent, he had the most caring, humanitarian bedside manner.
3. Chicago, Illinois: June 18, 2013. Kick-off of the Movies In The Park at Millennium Park with a tribute to Roger Ebert. First movie: "Chicago." Shown at 6:30 pm. They will introduce a new LED screen that allows them to show movies before dark. http://blogs.suntimes.com/arts_entertainment/2013/05/free_movie_series_at_millennium_park_this_summer.html
4. You can attend the LA Film Fest June 13-23, in the Roger Ebert Theater, go to http://www.lafilmfest.com/
5. Beverly Hills, California: June 27, 2012 You can celebrate with The Cinefamily, the American cinematheque, in their tribute to Roger Ebert as the screenwriter for "Beyond The Valley of the Dolls." The movie will be shown at the Saban Theater, 8440 Wishire Boulevard in Beverly Hills, go to http://cinefamily.ticketmob.com/show.cfm?id=4872
A review of Amazon's new anti-superhero series The Boys, which premieres on July 26.
This message came to me from a reader named Peter Svensland. He and a fr...