The Second Mother
A domestic comedy-drama that starts off from a fairly pat premise but builds strength over the course of its careful, empathetic, and crafty unpeeling of…
The 83rd Annual Academy Award nominations were announced Tuesday at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills, Calif.
* "Black Swan" Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers * "The Fighter" David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers * "Inception" Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers * "The Kids Are All Right" Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers * "The King's Speech" Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers * "127 Hours" Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers * "The Social Network" Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers * "Toy Story 3" Darla K. Anderson, Producer * "True Grit" Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers * "Winter's Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers
Actor in a Leading Role
Actress in a Leading Role
Actor in a Supporting Role
Actress in a Supporting Role
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
* "127 Hours" Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy * "The Social Network" Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin * "Toy Story 3" Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich * "True Grit" Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen * "Winter's Bone" Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini
Writing (Original Screenplay)
* "Another Year" Written by Mike Leigh * "The Fighter" Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson; Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson * "Inception" Written by Christopher Nolan * "The Kids Are All Right" Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg * "The King's Speech" Screenplay by David Seidler
Animated Feature Film
* "Alice in Wonderland" Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara * "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan * "Inception" Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat * "The King's Speech" Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr * "True Grit" Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
* "Black Swan" Matthew Libatique * "Inception" Wally Pfister * "The King's Speech" Danny Cohen * "The Social Network" Jeff Cronenweth * "True Grit" Roger Deakins
* "Exit Through the Gift Shop" Banksy and Jaimie D'Cruz * "Gasland" Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic * "Inside Job" Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs * "Restrepo" Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger * "Waste Land" Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley
Documentary (Short Subject)
* "Killing in the Name" Nominees to be determined * "Poster Girl" Nominees to be determined * "Strangers No More" Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon * "Sun Come Up" Jennifer Redfearn and Tim Metzger * "The Warriors of Qiugang" Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon
* "Black Swan" Andrew Weisblum * "The Fighter" Pamela Martin * "The King's Speech" Tariq Anwar * "127 Hours" Jon Harris * "The Social Network" Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
Foreign Language Film
Music (Original Score)
* "How to Train Your Dragon" John Powell * "Inception" Hans Zimmer * "The King's Speech" Alexandre Desplat * "127 Hours" A.R. Rahman * "The Social Network" Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Music (Original Song)
* "Coming Home" from "Country Strong" Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey * "I See the Light" from "Tangled" Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater * "If I Rise" from "127 Hours" Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong * "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
Short Film (Animated)
* "Day & Night" Teddy Newton * "The Gruffalo" Jakob Schuh and Max Lang * "Let's Pollute" Geefwee Boedoe * "The Lost Thing" Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann * "Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)" Bastien Dubois
Short Film (Live Action)
* "The Confession" Tanel Toom * "The Crush" Michael Creagh * "God of Love" Luke Matheny * "Na Wewe" Ivan Goldschmidt * "Wish 143" Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite
* "Inception" Richard King * "Toy Story 3" Tom Myers and Michael Silvers * "Tron: Legacy" Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague * "True Grit" Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey * "Unstoppable" Mark P. Stoeckinger
* "Inception" Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick * "The King's Speech" Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley * "Salt" Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin * "The Social Network" Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten * "True Grit" Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
* "Alice in Wonderland" Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips * "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi * "Hereafter" Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell * "Inception" Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb * "Iron Man 2" Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick
This message came to me from a reader named Peter Svensland. He and a fr...
A piece on the response to the sexism in "Straight Outta Compton."
An obituary for Wes Craven.
A critic dreams about the return of HBO's "Deadwood."